Pages

Tuesday, August 22, 2023

PITHY WORDS

 

Tuesday, August 22, 2023

 

PITHY WORDS

 

1 Cor 2:3-5

3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.

4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:

5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

 

Col 2:4

4 And this I say, lest any man should beguile [PARALOGIZOMAI, “to misreckon; to deceive.”]  you with enticing words.

 

          It is interesting to note that enticing words is based on the Greek word peithos which literally means “persuasive.” In both places where it is found, it is used in a bad sense. In Colossians, the word is pithanalogia.

 

          Our English word “pithy” is an adjective and means “concise and forcefully expressive” language. It is easy to see that this kind of language could be used for either good or bad influence. Perhaps you have been the victim of what we sometimes call a “smooth talker.” If so, there were times when you were intrigued and other times when you were sure you were being lied to. Yes, that is the bad way to use pithy language.

 

          When we tell others how Jesus changed our lives there is a need for both concise and simple language. Tell your story simply but passionately. Tell who and what you were before Christ then explain who you have become since. Personal testimony is exactly that, it is personal. Your story is no one else’s story. That makes it powerfully persuasive even if it is expressed with child-like language.

 

John 9:24-27

24 Then again called they the man that was blind, and said unto him, Give God the praise: we know that this man is a sinner.

25 He answered and said, Whether he be a sinner or no, I know not: one thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see.

26 Then said they to him again, What did he to thee? how opened he thine eyes?

27 He answered them, I have told you already, and ye did not hear: wherefore would ye hear it again? will ye also be his disciples?

 

Lord, Jesus, let me tell my story not as a theologian but as a rescued sinner. AMEN

 

No comments:

Post a Comment