Pages

Tuesday, August 1, 2023

A HOLE IN MY EAR

 

Tuesday, August 1, 2023

 

A HOLE IN MY EAR

 

Ex 21:1-6

21 Now these are the judgments which thou shalt set before them.

2 If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing.

3 If he came in by himself, he shall go out by himself: if he were married, then his wife shall go out with him.

4 If his master have given him a wife, and she have born him sons or daughters; the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself.

5 And if the servant shall plainly say, I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free:

6 Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; and he shall serve him for ever. KJV

 

          Only twice does the phrase “door post” appear in the KJV and both are in the book of Exodus. The first is a reference to Passover and this second appears in the “rules” regarding indentured slaves. The Jews knew very well how to be slaves in Egypt, but they needed rules for freedom.

 

          Our text lists rules for the release of slaves who had finished their responsibilities of servanthood. After six years, they could go free, but they could not take anything or anyone with them. This cruelly included wives and children. Verse five is our focal point this morning. “And if the servant shall plainly say, I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free.”

 

          I clearly see a strong relationship between LOVE and SERVICE. I hope you can see that too. Yesterday, my wife had surgery and today we are recovering at home. Because I love my wife, if she says, “Honey, can you …” immediately I am up and ready to do whatever the rest of the sentence demands.

 

          This same love relationship controls our willingness to serve our Lord. Grace has made me free, but love has made me a servant forever.

 

Dear Lord, I place my ear against your door post. Drill the hole and insert the ring that identifies me as a willing servant. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment