Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2023

WHY THE MOUNTAIN

 

Wednesday, February 8, 2023

 

WHY THE MOUNTAIN

 

Matt 14:23

23 And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone.

 

          Both Matthew and Mark add the word “apart” when describing Jesus’ ascending the mountain to pray. Mark adds an additional phrase, “by themselves,” when he talks about the transfiguration. I think this is curious and worthy of a few moments thought.

 

          Jesus was no recluse, but He did value aloneness. Seeing him with five thousand might easily explain His desire to be in a solitary place. The life of a pastor is all about people. Attracting them, keeping them, and facilitating change in them. But Jesus being their model, most pastors I know value time alone.

 

          Apart is the Greek word idios which means private and separate. We understand it to mean our personal space. Mark uses the word monos which means one and adds strength to the idea of solitude.

 

          I value my alone time and perhaps you do to. I think personal worship is really the only kind that exists. I may join others in singing praises or studying the Word, but true worship is done solitarily, and alone.

 

I come to the garden alone

While the dew is still on the roses

And the voice I hear, falling on my ear

The Son of God discloses

 

He speaks and the sound of His voice

Is so sweet the birds hush their singing

And the melody that He gave to me

Within my heart is ringing

 

And He walks with me, and He talks with me

And He tells me I am His own

And the joy we share as we tarry there

None other has ever known

 

Dear Lord, how I love my alone time with you. Let me never be so busy that I neglect it. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment