Pages

Monday, June 24, 2019

SATISFIED?


Monday, June 24, 2019

SATISFIED?

Ps 17:5-8
5 Hold up my goings in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not.
6 I have called upon thee, for thou wilt hear me, O God: incline thine ear unto me, and hear my speech.
7 Shew thy marvellous lovingkindness, O thou that savest by thy right hand them which put their trust in thee from those that rise up against them.
8 Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings,

Ps 17:15
15 As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.

           The word “satisfied” is found 43 times in our Bible but the phrase “I shall be satisfied” appears only here. The Hebrew word used here is saba’ (saw-bah) and means “copiousness, plenty; to be weary of.” Sitting down to a fine meal the hungriest man will eventually be weary of eating because he is full.

           David’s prayer in Psalm 17 compares the pleasures and treasures of his enemies while he and his band of men were scavenging for food and hiding in caves. Even so, David evaluates his situation and finds that God’s rich supply was enough. He was satisfied deep within and knew that ultimately, he would run out of room to receive God’s limitless supply. When he awakes from the sleep of death to find himself in the likeness of God it will be more than enough.

           Often, we find ourselves dissatisfied even when we are surrounded by lavish supplies. There is a longing for more. We try to fill the emptiness with many things and while we grasp at new things, we often fail to realize how rich we really are.

           A friend sent me one of those musical and animated videos that talks about a man who wanted to sell his farm. The story goes something like this: “A farmer had lived on the same farm all his life. It was a good farm, but with the passing years, the farmer began to tire of it. He longed for a change--for something "better." Every day he found a new reason for criticizing some feature of the old place. Finally, he decided to sell, and listed the farm with a real estate broker who promptly prepared a sales advertisement. As one might expect, it emphasized all the farm's advantages: ideal location, modern equipment, healthy stock, acres of fertile ground, etc. Before placing the ad in the newspaper, the realtor called the farmer and read the copy to him for his approval. When he had finished, the farmer cried out, "Hold everything! I've changed my mind. I am not going to sell. I've been looking for a place like that all my life."

Ps 90:14
14 O satisfy us early with thy mercy; that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.

Dear Lord, the wealth of the world cannot quench the thirst of the soul. I know that, like David, I will be satisfied when I wake with thy likeness. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment