Pages

Thursday, June 27, 2019

ABSENCE MAKES THE HEART GROW FONDER!


Thursday, June 27, 2019

ABSENCE MAKES THE HEART GROW FONDER!

2 Tim 1:3-4
3 I thank God, whom I serve from my forefathers with pure conscience, that without ceasing I have remembrance of thee in my prayers night and day;
4 Greatly desiring to see thee, being mindful of thy tears, that I may be filled with joy;

           You have heard it all your life, and wondered if it were true. Does absence really make the heart grow fonder? It is more probable that absence intensifies the feeling of emptiness once occupied by a friend or loved one.

           Paul had a strong relationship with young Timothy. Possibly this was due to Timothy’s absent father. Timothy was raised by a mother and grandmother so Paul assumed the role of father and mentor. He called him “son, Timothy” in First Timothy 1:18.

           This is the second and last letter to Timothy because Paul was to soon be executed. He would see Timothy no more and Paul remembered the tears in Timothy’s eyes at their last parting. I suspect it was the quiet tears men shed when they are trying to be strong.

           If I could send my whole self where my mind often travels, I would be in several places at nearly the same time. I would be in Kansas, Ohio, Iowa, South Carolina, Arkansas, England, The Philippines, Brazil, Chile, Peru, Burkina Faso, Hungary, and Boston.

           Try to imagine the joy of that homecoming day when all our beloved ones will be reunited.

Rev 5:9
9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;

Lord, there are huge empty places in my heart once occupied by dear friends. Travel where I cannot go and hug those that I love. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment