Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

DISCIPLESHIP JESUS STYLE


DISCIPLESHIP JESUS STYLE!



Luke 14:26-27

26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

33 So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.



           Discipleship, these days, has evolved into a twelve week or a twelve step program. When the class is finished the “disciple” receives a certificate, suitable for framing, declaring himself to be a true disciple. That’s not how Jesus did things.



           Jesus called His disciples simply but seriously. It meant something to follow Christ. It meant leaving employment for the fishing disciples and for Matthew it meant leaving his job as well. It required one to be fully engaged at all times. The following portion is actually Jesus’ discipleship plan.



Matt 11:28-30

28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.



           Jesus invited his followers to be with him and to observe him and to copy him. Discipleship is not like a microwave meal but more like a seed planted. It grows gradually and bears fruit slowly. The only certificate of recognition was scars, stripes and martyrdom.



           If you are impressed by numbers, Jesus had a small following. Five thousand gathered for bread and fish. There were 120 in the upper room, but only eleven of the twelve were faithful. Judas had a certificate but proved himself to not be a true disciple.



“In the matter of saving lost souls, Jesus wants His house to be filled (Luke 14:23); but in the matter of personal discipleship, He wants only those who are willing to pay the price.” Warren Wiersbe

          

Dear Lord, help me to understand and to comply with the rules of discipleship. Help me to understand the cost involved. Help me to bear fruit in due season. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment