Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

TO BE A SOLDIER!

TO BE A SOLDIER!

2 Tim 2:4
4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

         The concept is simple enough to understand. A soldier has removed himself from all the concerns of civilian life so that he can throw himself into the business of soldiering. However, the verse that we are considering this morning is talking about the Christian way of life. With that in mind let me suggest a few parallels between the Christian and the soldier. Ready?

         First, I think it is easy to spot a soldier. Even when he is off duty he has a distinctive military aura that hovers all about him. Perhaps it is the high and tight haircut or the poker straight stance that sets him apart but a soldier is not hard to spot. Christian soldiers should be distinctive as well.

Col 3:8-10
8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

         Soldiering involves suffering and discipline. A soldier is sharpened and focused. He does not mill around aimlessly and carelessly. Article 89, section C of the uniform code of military justice describes “dereliction of duty” in this way: “A person is derelict in the performance of duties when that person willfully or negligently fails to perform that person’s duties or when that person performs them in a culpably inefficient manner.” In the Christian army souls are at stake if we do our duty in “Beetle Bailey” fashion. It is all about character and honor.

2 Tim 4:7-8
I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

Dear Captain of my soul, let me be ready for any adventure in your service today. Let me serve with honor and distinction. AMEN


No comments:

Post a Comment