Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

1 Kings 19:14
14 And he said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts: because the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.

1 Kings 19:18
18 Yet I have left me seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him.

           Poor Elijah! He was a champion for God standing alone against the prophets of Baal. All this spiritual and physical combat was done while fasting. Yes, one meal carried him through forty days of intense struggle. He was tired; he felt alone in his righteous cause and he was growing increasingly frustrated with a God who seemed to have abandoned him to fight this battle alone. We see this in his complaint when he said: “I, even I only.”

           Elijah wasn’t quite finished with his ministry. God didn’t pay any attention to his whining but told him to anoint two kings and one new prophet to fill his “room” which would shortly be vacated. We jokingly tell our volunteers that they can’t quit until they find their own replacement. This seemed to be literally true with Elijah. Did his complaining bring his ministry to an end? We can only guess.

           It is hard to serve God while worshipping yourself! I know that sounds like a severe indictment of one of God’s champions but I think it is true. Elijah had succeeded in many things but he had failed at self-maintenance. He focused first on the enemy and then on himself. He had lost his God-focus. That is always dangerous.

           What do we want when we complain? I think we do not want help, or even relief, so much as we want sympathy. We want someone, preferably God, to say “Bless your heart!” We want a Band-aid on our sore spots. We want mommy to kiss it and make it better. This hurts even to admit it but I think it is so.

           What do we need when we complain? In a comment that is almost an addendum to the conversation, God declares that he has 7,000 faithful ones. Elijah was wrong to think that he was alone in his devotion to Jehovah. There was no stern scolding – just information. Elijah would scold himself because that was his nature and because he was already focused on himself. The information alone would be enough.

           We are not alone! Somewhere someone is remaining true and faithful to God. Somewhere someone is engaged in spiritual warfare and doing exploits. We do not have to think we are the only one standing for God. Moreover, we must not think that God Himself would be vanquished if it were not for our service and protection. God is a big God and can take care of himself. He is our protector and not we His. So cheer up weary pilgrim! The battle is not lost nor in doubt. God is victor and we share in the victory. Rest if you must but don’t quit.

Dear Lord, forgive me of my self-focused whining. Give me strength to continue my service. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment