Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

RAIN IN DUE SEASON!

RAIN IN DUE SEASON!

Lev 26:2-4 KJV
2 Ye shall keep my sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.
3 If ye walk in my statutes, and keep my commandments, and do them;
4 Then I will give you rain in due season, and the land shall yield her increase, and the trees of the field shall yield their fruit.

Thunder woke me early this morning and while the coffee was still gurgling in the pot a sudden downpour beat noisily upon the metal roof of the carport so noisy in fact that I wondered if there were hail mixed with the rain. As I retrieved the morning paper I knew that we had been spared hail and that the noise was only huge drops of rain that could no longer maintain their flight.

The Bible speaks of rain as a blessing from God. It is part of God’s cyclical system of growth; a phenomenon of nature which God maintains effortlessly. We are aware in Scripture of what is called the early and the latter rains and we remember the childhood ditty that reminds us that April showers bring May flowers.

THE LATTER RAIN, IN THE SPRING, CAUSED THE SEEDS TO SPROUT!

By the first or former rain we are to understand that which fell in Judea about November, when they sowed their seed, and this served to moisten and prepare the ground for the vegetation of the seed. The latter rain fell about April, when the corn was well grown up, and served to fill the ears, and render them plump and perfect. (From Adam Clarke's Commentary)

THE EARLY RAIN, AFTER HARVEST, PREPARES THE EARTH FOR SOWING!

Deut 11:14 KJV
14 That I will give you the rain of your land in his due season, the first rain and the latter rain, that thou mayest gather in thy corn, and thy wine, and thine oil.

Now the big round bales of hay stand sentry along the fence row. The pumpkin, squash and apples paint a colorful collage all around. The lawn has begun to lie dormant and we welcome a rest from the mowing. Now the land reclines in satisfaction awaiting her blanket of snow.

RAIN IS A REMINDER OF OUR COVENANT WITH GOD!

2 Chron 7:11-14 KJV
11 Thus Solomon finished the house of the LORD, and the king's house: and all that came into Solomon's heart to make in the house of the LORD, and in his own house, he prosperously effected.
12 And the LORD appeared to Solomon by night, and said unto him, I have heard thy prayer, and have chosen this place to myself for an house of sacrifice.
13 If I shut up heaven that there be no rain, or if I command the locusts to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among my people;
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Lord, the rain reminds me of your faithfulness. Help me to remain steadfast to you. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment