Pages

Saturday, July 6, 2024

THE IMPORTANCE OF MUSIC

 

Saturday, July 6, 2024

 

THE IMPORTANCE OF MUSIC


Col 3:16

16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

 

          I once received a stern reprimand for whistling in a hospital hallway! But, honestly, I couldn’t help it. I was a hospital orderly, newly married to my wife and a student in preparation for ministry. I was poor but my life was rich. Then along comes a grey-haired, short, quick-stepping nurse. It seems I was making too much noise after quiet time. I was appropriately terrified. I needed this job. While dating, I only made $1.10 per hour but now, married, I was earning $1.25 per hour, which we concluded was sufficient to support a young family, but I digress.

 

          It is evident in scripture that God likes music. Why else would he include a hymnal with 150 hymns right in the middle of His Holy Word? Why also would he place the “singers” in front of the Hebrew army which marched around Jerico? The word “singers” can be found in the Old Testament 38 times. In the New Testament, singing released Paul and Silas from prison [Acts 16:25-26]

 

          Back to the reprimand. I was sternly reminded of the need of the patients for rest. With a military turn she passed by and walked on but, was that a smile on her face?

 

Job 38:4-7

4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.

5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;

7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

 

Thank you, Lord, for the wonderful gift of music. AMEN

 

No comments:

Post a Comment