Pages

Monday, January 1, 2024

NEW BEGINNINGS

 

Monday, January 1, 2024

 

NEW BEGINNINGS

 

Ex 12:1-2

1 And the LORD spake unto Moses and Aaron in the land of Egypt, saying,

2 This month shall be unto you the beginning of months: it shall be the first month of the year to you.

 

          The fourteenth day of Abib, or Nisan, was henceforth to be considered the beginning of a new year. It corresponds to our April and conjures up thoughts of springtime and blooming whereas previously the beginning of the Jewish year was Tisri, or September, which is a time of harvest.

 

          A fresh start is very attractive. We are tired and dissatisfied with the old routines and their results. Nothing changes until something changes! We long to be forgiven and to discard unusable ways.

 

          The continuity of life somewhat spoils every new start. We drag along old things until we are finally able to replace them with something better.

 

          Redemption is the foundation of this new way. Passover both acknowledged and prescribed salvation by blood. Atonement must be by sacrifice. In prospect it designed the Jewish sacrificial system. In retrospect it perfectly pictures Jesus.

 

          Purging is also pictured as an important aspect of this new beginning. The Jews were to purify their homes and themselves. Old leaven was discarded so their new bread was baked in haste. This presents us with a final thought.

 

          Readiness was the mood of Passover night. The moans in the streets would, in the morning, be replaced with the clatter of deliverance. It was time to move.

 

1 Cor 15:9-10

9 For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

 

Blessed are you, Lord, for you have redeemed me by blood, purged me by patience and grace, and set my feet on a new way which leads to glory. AMEN

 

No comments:

Post a Comment