Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

REASONABLE SERVICE!


REASONABLE SERVICE!

Rom 12:1-2
1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

           Dead men have no preferences. They can’t be tempted by any enticement. They are unresponsive to any suggestion. Paul asks us to consider ourselves to be dead to sin and alive to Jesus Christ. A living sacrifice is an unusual concept because a sacrifice is slain and his blood poured out as an offering. It is useful for nothing afterward.

           The verb “present” in Romans 12:1 means “to present once and for all.” Is there a finality to your submission to Christ? Are you continually giving yourself to God and then taking it back again. Are you constantly frustrated because you are not really “dead” to self? You are not alone. Many believers live this kind of life. There must be a presentation.

           Give Him your body. This may be a radical concept but think about it a minute. Why not give to God a body that is pure from sexual sin, strong, well rested and alert? Paul said it is our reasonable service. I can’t be as useful to God if I am slothful, tired and foggy headed. I want to give him my body as a continual sacrifice.

           Give Him your mind. The word “transform” is the same word as “transfigured” in Matthew 17:2. It has entered the English language as “metamorphosis” and it describes a change that springs from within. The world wants to control your mind but we should allow our mind to be changed and brought into alignment with the thinking of God.

           Give Him your will. In Luke 22:42 Jesus surrendered His will to the Father. We must do the same. The will plans and pursues our desires and goals. If we are “dead” we have none. My will then can be controlled by His will. He can then make my plans and pursue proper goals and fulfill noble dreams.

Dear Lord, I know that being a sacrifice means death to my preferences. I know that I no longer own myself. I no longer control myself. Nevertheless, I come to you again as a living sacrifice. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment