Pages

Thursday, February 22, 2018

ARE YOU READY?



ARE YOU READY?

2 Tim 4:6-8
6 For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.
7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

          Billy Graham passed away yesterday at the age of 99. At this writing, funeral arrangements have not been published. His was an amazing life! He preached to thousands and he never allowed controversy to stick to him. He was criticized by those who wanted to own him exclusively but he never limited his outreach by that kind of pettiness. He spoke the same message to the low and the high. He was a friend of Presidents. When it came time to die, he was ready!

          Paul used the Greek word spendo which means “to pour out as a drink offering.” Paul was going to be executed and he considered it the final offering of his life of service to his God.

          Most of us do not approach the end of life with the same kind of certainty as Paul or Billy Graham. We don’t see death as a date on the calendar or the day of an execution. It is harder for us to “be ready.” We must be ready at a moment’s notice and too many of us are not ready.

          Much has been said about Kathy Lee Gifford’s testimony of her salvation in Christ. It makes us uncomfortable. We don’t expect celebrities to speak so openly of their faith but shouldn’t we be ready to tell others so that they might avoid eternal damnation?

1 Peter 3:15
15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

Dear Lord, help me to be ready both to tell my story and to depart, like Paul. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment