Pages

Sunday, September 10, 2017

TRUTH OR FEELINGS?



TRUTH OR FEELINGS?

Prov 15:14
14 The heart of him that hath understanding seeketh knowledge: but the mouth of fools feedeth on foolishness.

           Strong emotions attached to an error are hard to deal with. Paul met the men of Athens on Mars Hill and said: “Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious. For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.” (Acts 17:22-23) The Greek word for “superstition” is deisidaimonesteros and indicates a thoughtless devotion.

           Multiple denominational traditions with contradicting teachings have produced a tangled wilderness of belief. Many are lost within it. Yet, it requires delicacy to teach truth.

           Solomon understood the danger of allowing emotion to drive our life. He warned: “Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.” (Proverbs 4:23) The word “heart” here is the Hebrew word labe and means feelings or emotions.

           Paul said: “When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.” (1 Cor. 13:11). The word “childish” here is the Greek nepios and indicates a simple minded person.

           Jesus said: “And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” (John 8:32)

Dear Lord, let me be tender toward those who are bound by emotions but let me faithfully proclaim the truth. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment