Pages

Sunday, September 24, 2017

MY NEIGHBOR IS MY MISSION



MY NEIGHBOR IS MY MISSION!

Acts 1:8
8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Prov 3:27-28
27 Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it.
28 Say not unto thy neighbour, Go, and come again, and to morrow I will give; when thou hast it by thee.

           The tiny word both is a primary Greek article te (teh) and connects a group together. In our text today it links an expanding range of influence. The power of the Holy Spirit enables us to witness in both, or properly all places at the same time. Naturally the first place to witness is right where you are. If we forego the opportunities seated next to us in Jerusalem, how are we going to convince anyone that we are burdened for Samaria? The Good Samaritan shows us our responsibility regarding the chance meeting with one in need.

Luke 10:31-33
31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
32 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.
33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him.

           It must be remembered that the story of the Good Samaritan is the answer of the question in verse 29 “And who is my neighbor?” It was a question aimed at self justification. If I can’t identify my neighbor then I can’t be held responsible for his pain and his needs. Jesus made it clear that your neighbor is the one by your side. It is that chance tragedy moaning in the gutter of life that only compassion can reach and only sacrifice can soothe.

           Both the Priest and the Levite were journeying to and from a place where they might do service for God and in their journey they passed by God’s true service. Missionary work is always local to the missionary. It is never foreign. Your mission field is wherever you are at the time. Your service is always at arms reach.

O For A Thousand Tongues To Sing
Charles Wesley

My gracious Master and my God,
Assist me to proclaim,
To spread through all the earth abroad
The honors of Thy name.

Dear Lord, there are many near me that need my witness. Let me not sully thy name with my daily walk. Let my light shine brightly. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment