Pages

Sunday, July 30, 2017

NO GREATER JOY



NO GREATER JOY!

3 John 4
4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.

As a father, grandfather, and pastor, I know the joy that John knew. He refers to himself in verse one as the elder which has a dual meaning. One refers to his position because the word in the Greek is presbuteros and means Sanhedrist or presbyter. It refers to the joy of a pastor when his flock walks in truth. The other meaning is simply “old.” I now own both distinctions so I know the thrill when my children walk in truth whether they be from my loins or my labor.

The word walk is the Greek peripateo which means “to tread all around or to walk at large” and the idea is that this person displays a consistent lifestyle. In this case that lifestyle is “in truth.”

Can your father or your pastor say this of you? When you “tread all around” do you present a consistent Christian lifestyle?

Ps 26:1-3
26 Judge me, O Lord ; for I have walked in mine integrity: I have trusted also in the Lord ; therefore I shall not slide.
2 Examine me, O Lord , and prove me; try my reins and my heart.
3 For thy lovingkindness is before mine eyes: and I have walked in thy truth.

Lord, when I “tread all around” may others see me walking consistently in the truth. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment