Pages

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

LEAVING FATHER AND MOTHER



LEAVING FATHER AND MOTHER!

Mark 10:7-8
7 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;
8 And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.

P
lease forgive me for my gushy reminiscing this morning. You see, tomorrow is my 49th wedding anniversary and I am remembering my last day and night as a single person. Moreover, I remember my last night as a child. Tomorrow childhood would be gently tucked away in the shoebox of memory with “snips and snails and puppy dog tails.”

W
e had already secured an apartment, although she was still living in her dorm, but tonight I would spend my last single night with Mom and Dad in their motel room. Our apartment seemed both empty and sacred. I would not soil it by staying there. Never mind that I felt very much like a child this night and wanted one more night with my parents. I can hardly describe the conflict of emotions but I was being torn between fear and joy. I felt safe with the familiar. Tomorrow I would shove off from that shore into the hopeful unknown.

M
oses established the pattern of leaving and cleaving in Genesis 2:24. Jesus confirmed it in Mark 10:7 and then Paul pressed the truth home in Ephesians 5:31. In Genesis the word for “leave” is ‘asab and it means “to relinquish; to forsake.” The Greek is kataleipo which means “to leave behind; to abandon.” These are strong words and I had nothing with which to compare this new experience but abandonment was the feeling.

I
f you have a spouse spend a moment thanking God for him or her. What a marvelous gift! Now, after so long a time, we can finish each other’s thoughts and sentences. Sometimes we don’t have to speak at all. “One flesh” has so many meanings.

Eph 5:28
28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.

Dear Lord, bless those who have found each other. Grant them love and communion. Firm and confirm their commitment and add an extra cup of joy. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment