Pages

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

FORCED TO REST



FORCED TO REST!

Ps 23
23 The Lord  is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord  for ever.

O
nly one Hebrew word is needed to translate the entire phrase “he maketh me to lie down.” That word is rabats which means “to crouch (on all four legs folded, like a recumbent animal); by implication, to recline, repose, brood.” One dictionary definition of the word “brood” is “to think or worry persistently or moodily about something.” Ah, yes! I have been known to brood.

I
 am currently enduring a forced rest. Emergency eye surgery has kept my activities to a minimum. The doctor even suggested I avoid “gravel roads” because he didn’t want me to do anything that would jar or jostle the delicate repair. So I sit and brood. My work is important to me and, in my mind, no one can do what I do quite like I can. I think it’s been called the “Super Man syndrome!” But my Shepherd has demanded that this sheep rest. Me MAKETH me to lie down.

P
oem: I NEEDED THE QUIET

I needed the quiet so He drew me aside,
Into the shadows where we could confide.
Away from the bustle where all the day long
I hurried and worried when active and strong.

I needed the quiet though at first I rebelled,
But gently, so gently, my cross He upheld,
And whispered so sweetly of spiritual things.
Though weakened in body, my spirit took wings
To heights never dreamed of when active and gay.
He loved me so greatly He drew me away.

I needed the quiet. No prison my bed,
But a beautiful valley of blessings instead –
A place to grow richer in Jesus to hide.
I needed the quiet so He drew me aside.

Alice Hansche Mortenson

Dear Lord, I did not choose this rest. Help me not to resist it. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment