Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2017

I KNOW THAT MY REDEEMER LIVES



I KNOW THAT MY REDEEMER LIVES!

Job 19:25-27
I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
27 Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

           Those who write commentaries on the Bible seem confused by this statement of faith. Since Job is the oldest book in the Bible, it is amazing to think of this declaration as referring to Messiah, they say. Some think it is a statement of confidence that he will be one day healed of his diseases and his farm and lands restored by a “kinsman redeemer.” Either way, it is an amazing statement.

           If you subscribe to the notion that Job was talking about his near kinsman as the redeemer, you have ample evidence for that in Deuteronomy 19:6-12; Leviticus 25; and in Proverbs 23. In the book of Ruth, Boaz is the kinsman redeemer who was willing and able to rescue Ruth and give her a new life in a new land. Perhaps that is what Job is saying but that explanation doesn’t satisfy.

           Verse 26 seems to indicate death and verse 27 seems to indicate physical resurrection at which time Job would see his Redeemer and thank Him personally.

           The old English word “reins” is literally translated “kidneys” but refers to the mind as the interior self; the soul. The idea is that the soul does not die.

           We encourage ourselves with this verse because it says that “even if my body is consumed in death, yet, in my resurrected body, I shall see God my Redeemer. I will see Him with my own eyes even though my soul be consumed within me.”

           Whatever you are going through today, whatever your pain may be, think of Job’s confidence in his redeeming God. Remember the well-worn promise to believers in Romans 8:28 which says: “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.”

Dear Lord, though I may not be able to convince the doubters, yet I know that my Redeemer lives and that the conclusion of my circumstances will be good. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment