Pages

Friday, January 20, 2017

DESCRIBE YOUR GOD TO ME



DESCRIBE YOUR GOD TO ME!

           Let’s say I walk up to you on the street or, more likely in the mall, and tell you that I am desperately interested in finding the true God. I am, however, very confused and would like you to help me find the one true God out of all the possibilities swirling around me. I tell you that you look like the kind of person I would like to become and I want to find your God. Please describe your God to me.

           Now, before you begin a soliloquy of memorized characteristics, remember that I want to know your very own description and perception of Him. Who is He and what is He to you personally. OK, go!

           It’s not so easy is it? Not because you can’t do it but because you find yourself embarrassed at your own definitions. Your relationship with a personal God seems weak and selfish. Perhaps you have subscribed to the “Santa Claus” God who looks the other way when you sin and gives you stuff when you pray. Is this the kind of God you want to present to this desperately seeking person? Let me see if I can help by sharing portions of the Bible.

1. GOD IS NEAR – NOT FAR AWAY!

Deut 4:7
7 For what nation is there so great, who hath God so nigh unto them, as the LORD our God is in all things that we call upon him for?

2. HE IS THE ONLY GOD!

Deut 6:4-5
4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:
5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

Acts 4:11-12
11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

           If you think about it, monotheism is the only method that makes sense. If God is God then He stands alone. It is called “The Law of Exclusion.” God, if He really is God, excludes all other competitors.

3. GOD IS HOLY!

Ps 99:9
9 Exalt the LORD our God, and worship at his holy hill; for the LORD our God is holy.

           The root word for “holy” indicates One that is pure, clean, moral and sacred. He should not, therefore, be thought of or treated like “one of the guys,” or the “man upstairs!” He does not run with me – I am invited to travel with Him. He does not bend to my fashion – I am challenged to change my garments and make them white in the Blood of the Lamb!

Eph 4:22-24
Put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

4. HE IS A GOOD GOD!

Ps 100
100:1 A Psalm of praise.
Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands.
2 Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.
3 Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
4 Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.
5 For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.

1 Peter 3:15
15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

Dear Lord, let me not squeeze you into my hand made mold but let me know you and serve you as you truly are.  AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment