Pages

Monday, August 8, 2016

NAMES AND FACES



NAMES AND FACES!

Luke 10:20
20 Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.

Rev 3:4
4 Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.

           I woke up this morning with my mind full of names, faces, and distant places. After 45 years in pastoral ministry, I can tell you that there are many of those names stored on the hard drive. Those names and memories often need to be reorganized in my mind. Early morning is a good time to do that.

           God beholds my face and knows me by name. When my mother and father attached a name to a baby boy, God took note and followed me – is still following me – through life. My name, in fact, is now eternal. There may be others with the same name but God sees both the name and the face. That makes my relationship with Him very personal.

           “Even in Sardis” is what Jesus said in Revelation 3:4. Why did He say that? I will quote the research of Warren Wiersbe who says: “Ancient Sardis, the capital of Lydia, was a most important city. It lay about fifty miles east of Ephesus at the junction of five main roads; so it was a center for trade. It was also a military center, for it was located on an almost inaccessible plateau. The acropolis of Sardis was about 1,500 feet above the main roads, and it formed an impregnable fortress. The main religion in the city was the worship of Artemis, one of the "nature cults" that built on the idea of death and rebirth.

Sad to say, the city at that time was but a shadow of its former splendor; and the church, unfortunately, had become like the city - it was alive in name only.”

Small, insignificant, and used-to-be towns still contain those whose names and faces are known by God. He who numbers the hairs on our head (Matthew 10:30), also knows our names and is familiar with our faces.

Ps 27:4
4 One thing have I desired of the Lord , that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord  all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in his temple.

Dear Lord, one day soon we will behold Thy face and know you as surely as you know us. Thank you for never taking your eye off us. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment