Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

THE PRAYER LIST



THE PRAYER LIST!

Luke 11:1
11 And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.

           I wonder if it was uncomfortable to be “watched” while praying. Try to imagine the scene as Jesus was surrounded by His disciples who stood or sat quietly while Jesus prayed. There must have been a great difference between the manner in which Jesus prayed and the kind of praying that the disciples were familiar with. It must have been challenging to them and probably a bit embarrassing – but it was attractive and appealing as well. It was something that they wanted to be able to do.

           Jesus taught them structure in prayer. He begins by saying: “When ye pray say …” I rather doubt that Jesus had what we would call a prayer list written on paper. It is certainly not wrong to have one but it is, in my thinking, limiting. While it focuses my thoughts it also limits my thoughts. My mind does not wander but neither can I pray spontaneously. I like to pray for the deepest burdens of my heart without a list.

           Jesus also suggested persistence and patience in prayer in verse 5. A neighbor comes at midnight to borrow food for unexpected and late arriving company. It is late and the kids are all in bed but because the neighbor keeps knocking and asking, the sleepy man rises to fill a sack with provisions. So Jesus suggests that we make a pest of ourselves in prayer.

           Jesus reminds us of our relationship in prayer in verses 11 and 12. It would be foolish to think that a father would give a stone to a child asking for bread. No, a loving father would eagerly grant the wishes of one of his children. We should always pray remembering that we are His children and that he loves us.

Luke 11:13
13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Dear Lord, teach me to pray. Help me to be patient and persistent in prayer and never let me forget that you love me and want your best for me. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment