Pages

Friday, July 25, 2014

NO STRINGS ATTACHED!


NO STRINGS ATTACHED!


Matt 6:1-4
6 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

Prov 22:9
9 He that hath a bountiful eye shall be blessed; for he giveth of his bread to the poor.


          Last night a friend walked into the restaurant where my wife and I were eating. We exchanged greetings and smiles and then they took their seat at a table not far away. My wife and I finished our meal and were about to leave when the waiter said that our meal had already been paid for. I was surprised but not shocked because my friend is a generous person.

          Earlier in the week we were the recipients of another very generous gift. It was very kind and totally unnecessary. That’s what made the gift so special. I seem to be surrounded by very generous people.

          I find it curious that our modern word “generous” is not found in the Bible anywhere! The concept is there, however, in many places. Often you will find the word “liberality,” or, in one case, “a bountiful eye.”

          I have noticed something about generous people. They are, as 2 Corinthians 9:7 calls them, “cheerful givers.” They are happy people. They take great delight in being kind and helpful to others.


Acts 20:35
35 I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.


Dear Lord, I have received gifts from generous people. Let me find opportunities to be generous today. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment