Pages

Thursday, July 24, 2014

FEELING MY AGE!


FEELING MY AGE!


2 Cor 4:16-18
16 For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.
17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;
18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Ps 71:17-18
17 O God, thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared thy wondrous works.
18 Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, forsake me not; until I have shewed thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come.


          I remember when my father turned 60 years of age. In that same year I turned 30. I thought to myself that I was now half the age of my father. The next year he was 61 and I was 31. I was now more than half his age! It was a curious mathematical reality.

The word translated "hope" in Psalm 71:14 means a long and patient waiting in spite of delays and disappointments. These are the things that make us “old” but they are also the things that make us mature in our faith. If we trust in the Lord, the trials of life will work for us and not against us. Each experience makes us wiser and that wisdom is marked by certain physical signatures.

What must not age in the believer is his hope and his ambition. David had known the Lord from his youth and from that time had declared God’s wonderful works. Now he desired strength enough to tell God’s story to his own generation and also to the one that was to follow.

Dear Lord, this morning I am feeling my age! Let me be young in my heart and mind. If need be, let my hope and ambition drag along this unwilling body until my assignments are done. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment