Pages

Monday, July 7, 2014

DOES GOD ANSWER PRAYER?


DOES GOD ANSWER PRAYER?


James 5:16-18
The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
17 Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months.
18 And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit.


          About two years ago, at about 2:AM my newly replaced knee began to hurt. I had taken my prescribed dosage of pain medication but still it gave me pain. My wife woke up and we talked for a while. Soon, very soon, my pain went away. I said to my wife: “Thank you!” She said: “For what?” and I said, “For the prayers.” She said: “How did you know”? I reminded her that we have been married for nearly 44 years and that I believed in the power of prayer.

          The above story provides the opportunity for both doubt and belief, as most religious things do. Scientists will tell me that the pain medicine finally provided relief but the Christian will glorify God because of answered prayer. Prayer does not so much confirm the existence and power of God as it does to confirm either our doubt or our faith.

          Elias, or Elijah, was a man of “like passions” or similar mental and emotional makeup as the rest of us. He was subject to doubt but was yielded to faith. Resisting his doubt, and in obedience to God, Elijah prayed that the heavens would stop sending rain. The result was that it did not rain for a period of three years and 6 months! Was this the result of some natural occurrence? Unbelievers would think so but believers would know it to be an act of God.

Matt 21:22
22 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

Dear Lord, many of our prayers are said in doubt. Often we do not exercise an active belief. Whether our answers come quickly or force us to wait, let us come before your throne with confidence. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment