Pages

Saturday, August 25, 2012

THE GOD WITH WHOM I’M ANGRY!


THE GOD WITH WHOM I’M ANGRY!

Jonah 4:2
4 Then said the Lord , Doest thou well to be angry?


          Poor Jonah! With whale puke lingering on his clothing and his enemies enjoying God’s blessing, he sits beneath a withering vine and complains loudly at a God who is merciful. Listen to Jonah rant and rave:I knew that thou art a gracious God, and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repentest thee of the evil.” The problem is that Jonah wanted God to “nuke” them! He had taken a seat to watch the fireworks as God rained down wrath but mercy cancelled the show.

          I have been angry with God! Recently! I know that is quite an announcement coming from a preacher but it is true. Most often God angers me when he acts mysteriously. Well, maybe it’s not so mysterious, but God has a frustrating way of acting like God and not like man. His decisions are not like mine at all and I get confused. Moreover, He never feels that it is necessary to brief me regarding His plans. I am out of the loop and, frankly, I like being in the loop.

          But, like Jonah, I have never been able to accuse God of acting outside of His nature. I know God to be a gracious God even to those I would condemn. I know Him to be merciful because I am a constant recipient of that mercy. I know Him to be slow to anger. In fact, I often find Him to be simply slow because I am so guilty of impatience. I also am sure that He is a God of great kindness.

          So why am I so angry? Well, He simply will not do things my way! He will not operate on my time schedule. I find Him always guilty of acting in a way that is other-worldly. It is confusing! It requires faith and I simply prefer to walk by sight. Walking on water just scares me to death. God is such a risk taker and I am not. I like things in a nice, neat bundle. It has to make sense and it can’t break any of my rules. I pout beneath the withering vine.

          I think I have just proven why the accused should never represent themselves (be their own lawyers) in a court of law. I have just exonerated God and condemned myself! And once again justice is served.

Isa 55:9
9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Dear Lord, forgive my pouting and my penchant for pleasing myself. Help me to follow you even when I don’t understand you – which is often. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment