Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

CHANGE MY HEART!


CHANGE MY HEART!

Ps 51:9-12,17
9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.
17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.


          David had sinned with his neighbor’s wife. Instead of being a brief journey into immorality and pleasure, it set in motion a chain of consequences that included murder. Because of the illicit intimacy with Bathsheba, his intimacy with the Lord was broken. New characters had entered his life but there was a huge hole left by his departure from the Lord. We can only imagine the condition of his tormented emotions.

          When Nathan, the prophet came to reveal all of David’s sin, it must have actually been a relief! Like a boil that had not been expressed, the release was both painful and soothing. He was caught but it was also an opportunity to restore his broken relationship with God. In his prayer for forgiveness, David prayed for three specific heart changes.

          Renew a right spirit within me! The word “right” in verse 10 literally means “erect” and stands in contrast to the slumped shoulders of the smitten king. Erect also indicates the sure confidence of the soldier at attention. David wanted his life to be characterized by stability, faithfulness and firmness. This would be a cooperative venture of both David and Jehovah.

          Uphold me with thy free spirit! The word “free” means “voluntary; grand or noble.” The crown upon his head made him a nobleman but it was the crown upon his heart that made him feel noble. David asked that he might once again feel good about himself.

          David asked for a “broken” spirit. The word literally means “to burst” and is often used in giving birth. Like a woman ready to be delivered of a child, David prayed that his spirit be delivered of his burden. The word “contrite” means “to fall down” as in worship. David had a heart that wanted to worship once again. He was tired of pretending and rebelling. David actually wanted to feel the release of repentance. The essence of real revival is to be found in the first two verses of this Psalm.

Ps 51:1-2
Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.

Dear Lord, restore to me the intimacy that sin and straying has destroyed. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment