Pages

Friday, August 3, 2012

THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT: GOODNESS!


THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT: GOODNESS!

Gal 5:22-23
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.


            Yesterday we said about gentleness: “Pressure, not applied with gentleness, becomes a punch! It is important that we be right but it is also important that we be gentle.” As a believer, there may be two reasons for me to want to “lean” on you. First, I may want to apply gentle pressure to influence you to move or change your position on some issue. I know that I can’t shove you because you will shove back. But If I apply gentle pressure you may gradually move to make room for my arguments. I may also need to lean on you for support. I know I can’t demand it of you but if I lean gently on you then you will likely respond with the support I need.

          The word “goodness” means virtue or beneficence. The fruit of the Spirit we call “goodness” is love acting in a beneficial way. It is what drives Miss Goody Two Shoes! When the Holy Spirit lives inside us He begins to use our body and our mind as vehicles for blessing others. This is when love becomes charity and caring becomes sharing.

          Think of all the good things that you might do for others if you only had the resources and the opportunity. You might anonymously leave a large bag of groceries on the doorstep of some person in need. You could pick up the tab for someone at another table in a restaurant. As believers, we are urged to do good to all men.

Gal 6:9-10
9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
10 As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

Dear Lord, let me thrill at the prospects of being a blessing to someone today. Let me diligently search for some good that I might do. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment