Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

ENOUGH FOR TODAY!


ENOUGH FOR TODAY!

2 Cor 12:7-10
7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.


          This week presents itself as a great challenge for me. Each day seems filled with more than enough to exhaust me. There are doctor’s appointments to follow up a surgery which has sidelined me for several weeks, an ill-timed tooth ache which could have waited for a calmer time, an emotionally stressful meeting on Thursday and, if that were not enough, a piece of electronic equipment that defies me in spite of my best efforts. I don’t feel sufficient for all of it.

          Perhaps you are also facing a daunting list of impossibilities. Each item on your list threatens to drain every ounce of your reserves but when you put them all together you can’t imagine how you will get them all done. Maybe this is just life! Maybe our situation is not so unique at all.

          Paul allows us to peek in at his own set of personal problems. He has a thorn in the flesh. He does not tell us what it is but we think it is a physical ailment that slowed him down in his effort to serve God. It would seem reasonable for God to remove it so that His servant might perform more efficiently. But God only offered grace! A quote from Frances J. Roberts may explain God’s reasoning: “I am not in the whirlwind of activity, but in the still, small voice of communion. Find it, my child, and hold to it, and you will be energized.”

          God has an unlimited store of grace and strength but He dispenses it in small amounts. Each project receives its allotment of God’s help. Each weakness of ours is met with His great strength. As you go through your day – and your week – watch for God’s sufficient grace. You will have enough for today.

Dear Lord, I do not have the energy today to think about the tasks of tomorrow. The challenges of this day will drain all of today’s resources. Lord, I need you today and I will need you again tomorrow. Be nearby and be strong to help me. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment