Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

BE COOL!

BE COOL!


Prov 17:27
27 He that hath knowledge spareth his words: and a man of understanding is of an excellent spirit.


Prov 17:27 AMPLIFIED
27 He who has knowledge spares his words, and a man of understanding has a cool spirit.


In the KJV the phrase “excellent spirit” is found only three times. It is interesting that two of those times that phrase is found in and speaks of Daniel (Daniel 5:12 and 6:3). However in Daniel it refers to a superior or preeminent spirit.

Twice the phrase is coupled with the words “knowledge and understanding,” once here in Proverbs and again in Daniel 5:12. Only once, here in Proverbs, does the word “excellent” mean “chill, cool or cold” and it is joined with the words “knowledge and understanding.” I think that is way cool!

Our spirit seems to broadcast itself to others no matter what we may do to prevent it. It was that “cool” spirit that took the slave, Daniel, to the heights of leadership among his captors. He had to be cool to request special foods to eat so that he would not violate his dietary vows. Literally, he had to “be cool” and that required knowledge and understanding as well.

As a believer there are people I shun if possible even though they may claim to be Christians. I’m not being a snob; I just don’t feel comfortable around them. They seem to have a private agenda and it seems clear to me that any friendship I may develop is meant to further their agenda. I feel used and I develop an atmosphere of caution around them. It’s just not cool.

There are other “spirits” that act as magnets to me. I am drawn to them. I want to know why they are so peaceful when all around them there is so much pain. I want to know and understand the things that they know and understand. I’m curious, even envious of their spirit. I want to know where God is taking them and why. I am drawn to follow these people and learn their ways. It is way cool.

Maybe it is no more than the difference between honesty and dishonesty. Perhaps it is much more than that! I suspect it may mean that some “Christians” are simply more Christian than others. I am drawn to what I want to become. Perhaps I am even drawn to what I already am. I seek the person who can fuel my dreams.

Dear Lord, bring people into my path today that can fuel my relationship with YOU, make it stronger and not tear it down. Let me be that person to someone else also. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment