Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

TRUTH OR FLATERY?

TRUTH OR FLATERY?


John 8:44-45

44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.


Gal 4:16

16 Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?


Everyone wants to be popular. Nobody intentionally strives to be disliked. We practice being courteous and kind. We call it diplomacy. But the truth is (there it is) that truth is divisive. Jesus grew increasingly divisive because he told the truth. Paul, in his question to the Galatians pointed out the tension between him and his audience because he was sent to tell them the truth.


One recent visitor to our church said that while they were not “Baptists” they still felt comfortable in a variety of denominational churches because they saw themselves as part of the “kingdom.” Well, I suppose one might tolerate mustard and relish on their apple pie but I do not. Some denominational doctrines are simply mutually exclusive. After awhile the blend simply turns to slop.


There are times when we need to tell the truth; to lay it on the line. If I have a deadly disease I want the doctor to be truthful regarding the problem and aggressive regarding the cure. So it is with sin and its danger to the sinner. Jesus said: “Except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish!” (Luke 13:3) Paul said: “The wages of sin is death.” (Romans 6:23)


Micaiah the prophet faithfully warned King Ahab against attacking Ramoth Gilead. Ahab said of the prophet, “I hate him because he never prophesies anything good about me.” (1 Kings 22:8-27) Isaiah said of his own people:


Isa 30:9-10

9 That this is a rebellious people, lying children, children that will not hear the law of the LORD:

10 Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits:


We are determined to tell the truth lovingly, even gently. It is the truth that sets men free. Lies keep them bound with velvet ropes.


Dear Lord, let me speak the truth in love that those I serve might be set free. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment