Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2011

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED?

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED?

Gen 18:19
19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.

          One missionary shrewdly observed: “Some missionaries have forsaken their children for the mission, living to see their children undo their mission, realizing too late that their children were the mission!” In the verse above we are allowed to see the thoughts of God regarding Abraham and his family. God was confident that Abraham would “command” his family. The Hebrew is tsavah which means “to set in order.”

          As a pastor I know that good parenting makes my job much easier. The problems that are solved in the council of the family never reach family counseling. I also know that the measure of my ministry in the community can be terribly damaged if my children are unruly. In fact being a godly parent is one of the qualifying characteristics of pastoral ministry.

1 Tim 3:4-5
4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
5(For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

          I was recently told of a couple who adopted a little girl who was very undisciplined. Now the parents are divorcing because the husband wanted to spank the child and the mother forbids it. What will become of the little girl now?

Eph 6:4
4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

Dear Lord, let me not fail in my mission as a parent and grandparent. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment