Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

BARABBAS WAS A ROBBER!

Thursday, April 14, 2011

BARABBAS WAS A ROBBER!


John 18:38-40
(Pilate) saith unto them, I find in him no fault at all.
39 But ye have a custom, that I should release unto you one at the passover: will ye therefore that I release unto you the King of the Jews?
40 Then cried they all again, saying, Not this man, but Barabbas. Now Barabbas was a robber.

It is interesting what men choose when pressed to choose Jesus or something, or someone, else. Pilate had pronounced Jesus faultless. He should have simply released him but, like all politicians, he wanted to please everyone and he quickly learned that it can’t be done.

Pilate made a clear distinction between Jesus, the King of the Jews, and Barabbas. Barabbas was a known thief but not just a thief. He was a robber! This means that his was more than just pilfering, it was a violent act. The indication is that Barabbas had exhausted all his second chances and was undeserving of any mercy or leniency. He was worthy of his punishment.

Later, when Jesus was crucified, Pilate had a plaque nailed to the cross of Jesus. John records Pilate’s disgust and final insult.

John 19:19-22
19 And Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross. And the writing was, JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS.
20 This title then read many of the Jews: for the place where Jesus was crucified was nigh to the city: and it was written in Hebrew, and Greek, and Latin.
21 Then said the chief priests of the Jews to Pilate, Write not, The King of the Jews; but that he said, I am King of the Jews.
22 Pilate answered, What I have written I have written.

The Jews could not have it both ways. They could not release Barabbas without crucifying their King. Like Barabbas, I was condemned because of my sins but Jesus took my place. I find it interesting that the name Barabbas literally means “son of Abba” or “the son of the father.” The Son of God traded places with the son of the father.

Dear Father, thank you for taking my punishment and giving me your crown. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment