Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

WHILE WAITING, I WAITED!

WHILE WAITING, I WAITED!

Ps 40:1-5 KJV
I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.
2 He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.
3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.
4 Blessed is that man that maketh the LORD his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.
5 Many, O LORD my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered.

          The Hebrew rendering of verse one is “In waiting, I waited.” The idea is that David’s prayer was not answered at once but the answer came after a time. Isn’t that our experience as well? Don’t we wait while waiting? In fact, isn’t that our only real option? Like fretful infants, we stand in our crib and cry awhile and then listen to see of mother or father will come to check on us. If they don’t come immediately we stand and cry a while longer and then listen again.

          But God did answer, David said, and heard his cry. The imagery is that he was lifted out of “a horrible pit.” The Hebrew rendering is “a pit of noise!”  The Septuagint renders it “a lake of misery!” We are lifted up by the unseen hand and deposited upon a solid rock from which we can see clearly His direction for our lives.

          The soul’s rescue provides a new and fresh occasion to sing! The liberated soul can’t keep from singing! Our attitude and outlook changes and others observe it because it can’t be hidden. Strangers are moved to trust by the change they see in us. Many shall see (not hear) and shall trust in the Lord.

          God’s blessings can’t be calculated or numbered up. Our mind is overwhelmed by the volume of His goodness. On another occasion the Psalmist said that the Lord “daily LOADETH us with blessings.” Think of it as being burdened down with packages and presents. We almost request that He slow the flow of His goodness.

          David was “down,” brought very low. While waiting he waited for the rescue of His God then God answered and dumped blessings upon him. His soul was lifted up, lifted out and could not keep from singing!

Dear Lord, today my soul is lifted up and lifted out. I want to sing! Let others see it and trust in you. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment