Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

ON BEING HOMELESS!

ON BEING HOMELESS!

          Just a few days ago an internet video of a homeless man, begging on a street corner, became the most viewed video clip in quite some time. This tall black man with the long angular face and the big toothed smile had a golden radio announcer voice. What a talent! But he was homeless and lived in a ramshackle tent not far from his corner.

          The storybook ending is that in just a few days this homeless man with the wild hair is seen sitting in a modern radio station, his hair is cut and neatly groomed, and he has on headphones. He is doing commercials. Moreover the Cleveland Cavaliers basketball team had hired him for his announcing skills. It is a warm and fuzzy ending to a cold and lonely beginning. In a few more days most of us will forget all about this man and that will be the real tragedy.

          I have searched and discovered that the word “homeless” can’t be found in the King James translation of the Bible. Not once! I searched for the word “orphan” and found it only once (Lamentations 5:3). Certainly this man was not an orphan, at least not in the classic sense.

          Even the demoniac, wild, naked and friendless in the cemetery of Gadara was not truly homeless or an orphan. When Jesus cast out his demons he was found clothed, sitting calmly, and in his right mind. In the end this tormented man wanted to follow Jesus but was given another mission.

Mark 5:18-19 KJV
18 And when he was come into the ship, he that had been possessed with the devil prayed him that he might be with him.
19 Howbeit Jesus suffered him not, but saith unto him, Go home to thy friends, and tell them how great things the Lord hath done for thee, and hath had compassion on thee.

          Perhaps this entire story plays differently on the screen of a minister’s mind. I want more for this homeless man than notoriety, novelty and a job with the Cleveland Cavaliers. I want him to know Jesus. I want him to know family. I want him to know peace.

Ps 27:10 KJV
10 When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up.

Dear Friend, Jesus, thank you that I have the shelter of your love, the family of your followers and a home waiting for me in Heaven. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment