Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

THE REAL ME!

THE REAL ME!

1 Peter 3:4 KJV
4 But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

Ps 51:6-7 KJV
6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.
7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

The famous Robert Redford was walking one day through a hotel lobby. A woman saw him and followed him to the elevator. "Are you the real Robert Redford?" she asked him with great excitement. As the doors of the elevator closed, he replied, "Only when I am alone!"

I find it interesting that both of these comments come from men who had “failed” their God and momentarily abandoned their steadfastness. Peter, whom we all remember, loudly declared that he would never, no never deny Jesus, was told that he would indeed deny him three times before the rooster announced the dawn. He did! David, whom God said was a man after his own heart, yielded to lust which ultimately led to murder.

Each of these men learned by hard lessons that religion is not safely tucked away in some favorite pew but is carried in the heart all day, every day. I am disgusted and dismayed to witness the duplicity of many Christians. They wear their religion emblazoned on their cars and clothing but their language is vile, their morals are questionable at best and their business practices are dishonest.

A small boy had a little wagon that was a Christmas present and the delight of his heart. His family decided to skip church so when he brought it out to the front walk he was told that he must play with it at the back of the house. "This is Sunday," explained the father. The boy obeyed, but he was puzzled and asked as he trudged away, "Isn't it Sunday in the backyard, too?"

Dear Lord, let me be a genuine Christian! Let me be in the front yard the same as I would be in the back. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment