Pages

Tuesday, September 10, 2024

JACOB DID NOT SLEEP WELL

 

Tuesday, September 10, 2024

 

JACOB DID NOT SLEEP WELL

 

Gen 28:13

16 And Jacob awaked out of his sleep, and he said, Surely the LORD is in this place; and I knew it not.

 

Gen 32:24-26

24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.

25 And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him.

26 And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.

 

          It could have been the stone that he used for a pillow that caused Jacob to dream his angelic dream, but that dream changed the course of his life as well as the course of history. Jacob was told his purpose. He was promised an inheritance and an influence. The hard dirt upon which he lay would be his forever. He was also promised the companionship and partnership of God. When he rose up from sleep, he named that place Bethel, the house of God.

 

          Fast forward through treachery and treasure and we find Jacob sleeping again fitfully. Tossing and turning, he knew he was about to return to the brother he had cheated. He dreamed … or was it a dream? The struggle certainly seemed real. The hip certainly pained him. This time he named that place Peniel, the face of God, for he had seen God face to face, and his life was preserved.

 

          Too often I am stirred awake at about three o’clock. Perhaps it is the pillow or the pains in my hip or other joints, but I usually creep out of bed to sit in my chair and pray and think. It is quiet at this hour and God is better perceived and heard when He speaks. When names and faces come to mind, God and I discuss them. Some call it prayer, but it is something more to me.

 

Ps 5:3

3 My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.

 

Dear Lord, thank you for those solitary and soundless mornings when we talk without interruption. AMEN

 

No comments:

Post a Comment