Pages

Tuesday, August 27, 2024

WORDLESS PRAYERS

 

Tuesday, August 27, 2024

 

WORDLESS PRAYERS

 

Rom 8:24-26

24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?

25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

 

          I awoke this morning very early with a cyclone of random and troubling thoughts. This is more normal for me than uncommon. I generally take it as a prompting from God to meet with him in prayer and meditation. Often that is better than sleep. However, when this happens, I can seldom express myself with words. That is when the Spirit grabs the other end of my burden.

 

          The word “helpeth” in the Greek is sunantilambanomai which means “to take hold of together; to co-operate; to assist.” I find that much more expressive, and I am encouraged by remembering the words of the Psalmist.

 

Ps 121:3-4

3 He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.

4 Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.

 

          The Hebrew word for “keepeth” is shamar and means “to hedge about with thorns.” It commonly is used to refer to one on guard duty. My God never sleeps on guard duty so, when I awake sleepy-eyed, He is fully awake, alert, and aware of my thoughts.

 

          Subtle desires which have not yet reached complete thoughts are carried to the throne room of heaven by the Holy Spirit along with their interpretation. In fact our inward groans are given a language and becomes a prayer which God fully understands.

 

Ps 55:1-2

55 Give ear to my prayer, O God; and hide not thyself from my supplication.

2 Attend unto me, and hear me: I mourn in my complaint, and make a noise;

 

Dear Lord, help those of us who cannot find adequate language to express ourselves. Please carry those incomplete and inadequate prayers to the Father. AMEN

 

No comments:

Post a Comment