Pages

Tuesday, August 13, 2024

THE MAJESTY AND GLORY

 

Tuesday, August 13, 2024

 

THE MAJESTY AND GLORY

 

Ps 63:1-4

63 O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;

2 To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary.

3 Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.

4 Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.

 

          I often rise earlier than most. I do so because I have a thirst not for water but for the companionship of my God. This is not to commend my deep spirituality but to highlight my deep need to see and sense God’s majesty and glory. It seems I am built for worship.

 

          This thirst for God is set against the backdrop of what scripture calls a “dry and thirsty land.” I feel enslaved in a foreign land in which nothing is comfortable, and nothing is familiar. My very being vibrates to a dissonant chord. I am odd and I feel it.

 

          I grieve the departure of cathedrals, choirs, and organ music. I grieve the majesty and the glory of the vastness of a God who has been brought low and become common. My heart and mind long to be reminded that God is incomprehensible, and without equal. I miss the majesty and glory.

 

IMMORTAL, INVISIBLE, GOD ONLY WISE

Immortal, invisible, God only wise,

in light inaccessible hid from our eyes,

most blessed, most glorious, the Ancient of Days,

almighty, victorious, thy great name we praise.

Walter C. Smith – 1867 – Scotland

 

Lord, quench our thirst for Thy Majesty and Glory. AMEN

 

No comments:

Post a Comment