Pages

Saturday, February 17, 2024

TRUST THROUGH PAIN

 

Saturday, February 17, 2024

TRUST THROUGH PAIN

Job 13:15

15 Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him.

 

In an episode of THE CHOSEN Jesus was sending the Apostles out two-by-two. Jesus had given the Apostles AUTHORITTY to heal and to cast out demons. It was clear that JAMES THE LESS, “Little James,” was deep in thought. He asked Jesus how it could be that he had authority to HEAL and yet he himself had NOT YET been healed of a slow and painful walk. I decided to ask myself the same question. Can I trust Him through the pain?

 

          Job is always our model for fidelity. Even his wife suggested that, given the circumstances, he should simply curse God and die! (Job 2:9) Although Job bemoaned his circumstances and questioned God’s purposes, he never faltered. He still was living but declared that even if God took his life, he would remain faithful. Most of us find this to be an incredible faith.

 

          Physical ailments try our faith. Paul prayed three times that God would remove his “thorn in the flesh.” God’s response was that His grace would be sufficient. Paul concluded that the ailment, whatever it was, caused him to consider his weakness and God’s power.

 

          George Matheson was only fifteen when he was told that he was losing what little eyesight he had. Instead of giving up, Matheson immediately continued with his plans to enroll in the University of Glasgow, and his determination led to his graduation at age nineteen. But as he pursued graduate studies in theology for Christian ministry, he finally lost his sight. His sisters joined ranks beside him, learning Greek and Hebrew to assist him in his studies. He pressed faithfully on. He wrote one of my favorite hymns.

 

O Love That Will Not Let Me Go | George Matheson

 

O Love that will not let me go,

I rest my weary soul in thee;

I give thee back the life I owe,

That in thine ocean depths its flow

May richer, fuller be.

 

O Joy that seekest me through pain,

I cannot close my heart to thee;

I trace the rainbow through the rain,

And feel the promise is not vain,

That morn shall tearless be.

 

Dear Lord, I wonder if you can still trust me to be faithful even through pain. I shall try. I will need your grace. AMEN

 

No comments:

Post a Comment