Pages

Thursday, February 22, 2024

NO FEAR

 

Thursday, February 22, 2024

NO FEAR

1 John 4:17-19

17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.

18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

19 We love him, because he first loved us.

 

          Too much of our culture, politics, economy, and information outlets are driven by fear. Our two-party political system spends its time telling us to fear one side or the other and generally we respond by fearing both. Sellers of gold and silver warn us that paper money is worthless so that we can buy their products with worthless paper money. Sellers of drugs tell us that if we do not buy their product, we will be sick and then die. We respond by adding poverty to sickness and death.

 

          It is interesting to me that the word “fear” in verse 18 is preceded by the definite article “Ho” which means THE fear. Therefore, the fear John is talking about is a specific fear and he identifies it as worry regarding the day of judgment. Only Christ and His church offers a remedy for this kind of fear, and it is love. When we acknowledge and respond to God’s love and assume His character by loving others, we lose the fear of judgment.

 

Ps 56:11-13

11 In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me.

12 Thy vows are upon me, O God: I will render praises unto thee.

13 For thou hast delivered my soul from death: wilt not thou deliver my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of the living?

 

Dear Lord, deliver me from this culture of fear by reminding me how much You love me. AMEN

 

No comments:

Post a Comment