Pages

Friday, February 9, 2024

THE SIN TRAP

 

Friday, February 9, 2024

 

THE SIN TRAP

 

John 8:34

34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.

 

Well, that sounds simple enough. It even sounds benign, soft, and not problematic. Our blinded minds tell us, even after reading this, that the consequences won’t be too bad compared to the delicate pleasures of certain of our very favorite sins. Hebrews 11:25 tells us that there are pleasures in sin … for a season. It does not last. Beauty quickly turns to fierce ugliness and pleasantries are turned to harshness. Sins allurements soon become dangerous demands.

 

You can see the torment in the faces of those who have been entangled in sin. The eyes cry out for help but when help is offered the rescue is rebuffed because sin tightens its grip. Release from that grip can’t take place without someone suffering some pain. Jesus took that pain for me but there is still some pain I must bear in tearing myself from the clutches of sin’s enslavement. I can’t sit nibbling on sin’s delicacies and expecting Jesus to rescue me without my personal cooperation. Personal experience has confirmed this over and over.

 

Even the born-again believer continues to suffer the entanglements of sin. Paul describes the condition painfully in Romans chapter 7.

 

 Rom 7:24-25

24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

 

Dear Lord, today I am ready to be rescued. I will not resist your efforts to help me. I acknowledge that sin has both pleasures and torments. Please come and make me yours alone. AMEN

 

No comments:

Post a Comment