Pages

Tuesday, November 7, 2023

THE FOURTH WATCH

 

Tuesday, November 7, 2023

 

THE FOURTH WATCH


Matt 14:23-25

23 And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone.

24 But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary.

25 And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea.

 

The 3am – 6am prayer watch is the fourth and last watch of the night. This is the watch where there is a heightened amount of satanic activity and supernatural occurrences. This is the watch also known in folklore as the witching hour or devil’s hour. According to Wikipedia, it is the time of night associated with supernatural events.

 

Last night I was awakened at precisely 3am. This has happened several times before and I always think it to be the Holy Spirit’s prompting to prayer. I took care of some business and then settled into my chair for a time of fuzzy-headed prayer. I began by praying for a particular friend who is going through a significant life change, but my thoughts would not jell into anything sensible.

 

My random thoughts were everywhere, and none lasted long. My next prayer was to focus on something to pray about. I could not because there were too many things rattling in the attic of my mind. Unresolved issues, regrets, things for which I am thankful, and things I still desire all crowded the gate for first attention. Our Scripture portion indicates that Jesus also thought 3am was a good time to pray. I wonder if He had as much trouble.

 

James 5:13-15

13 Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.

14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

 

Dear Lord, at 3am I brought to you a ball of tangled thread. I pray that you were able to see the fabric of my prayers. AMEN

 

No comments:

Post a Comment