Pages

Saturday, June 10, 2023

PREPARING FOR SUNDAY

 

Saturday, June 10, 2023

 

PREPARING FOR SUNDAY

 

Ps 122:1-2

122 I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD.

2 Our feet shall stand within thy gates, O Jerusalem. KJV

 

          The casual reader may simply conclude that David enjoyed going to “church” but there is much more here than first meets the eye. Adam Clarke gives us a hint of history when he says: “When Cyrus published an edict for their return, the very first object of their thanksgiving was the kindness of God in permitting them to return to his ordinances.” They had been in captivity and now were going home. “Our feet shall stand within thy gates, O Jerusalem.”

 

          Saturdays have long been a day of preparation for Sunday in our family. My wife tells of the ritual of polishing shoes. Her daddy would gather the family’s shoes and polish every one so that they would be clean and shine for tomorrow’s worship. It meant something. It had deep roots and produced indelible memories.

 

          Though retired, I still teach an adult Sunday school class. Saturday is a day of preparation for that. It is a joyful task because I enjoy research and Bible study maybe more than I enjoy teaching. There is a pleasant rhythm in rest – worship – and work.

 

          Three words are significant to me in these two verses although they are generally overlooked. They are “they,” “us,” and “our.” What do I mean? Well, they speak of fellowship, friendship, and community. We do not worship alone but with the community of believers. Real interaction refreshes and challenges us. In me it produces gladness.

 

Thank you, Lord, for the freedom to worship and my fellow worshippers. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment