Pages

Monday, April 24, 2023

IN THE NAME OF RELIGION

 

Monday, April 24, 2023

 

IN THE NAME OF RELIGION

 

Ps 22:15

15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.

16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet. KJV

 

          My thoughts this morning are disturbing and disappointing, even to me. I am amazed at the despicable things that are done in the name of religion. This is what I see in the phrase “the assembly of the wicked.”

 

          Most scholars see this assembly only as the crowd of onlookers at the cross. I see the religious officials who, in their exalted authority, had concluded that this Jesus was an obscene affront to their organized system. I see their systematic and ritualistic observances as the very antithesis of righteousness and purity. Their actions intended to defend honor made them dishonorable men. Jesus warned of the robed piety of impious men.

 

Matt 23:3-5

3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.

5 But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments. KJV

 

          If your religion is all about structure, symbolism, and mystic ritual, then your religion has no heart for they that worship God must worship Him “in spirit and in truth.” How sad it must have been for Heaven to look upon religious leaders as they crucified the Son!

Ps 51:6-7

6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.

7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. KJV

 

Lord, I would not join the ranks of the arrogant and elegant religious gentry. I would be found in the wilderness, clad in garments of camel’s hair and feeding on locusts and wild honey. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment