Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2022

NOSTALGIA

 

Wednesday, November 30, 2022

 

NOSTALGIA

 

Ps 63:3-7

3 Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.

4 Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.

5 My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips:

6 When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.

7 Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice. KJV

 

          The word “remember” can be found 148 times in the King James Version of the Scriptures. It is not always set in a wistful manner. Twice in the Book of Revelation we see the phrase “remember therefore” and both times it is a warning, first to Sardis and then to Ephesus. But I am feeling nostalgic today and there is much to remember.

 

          Nostalgia is defined as a sentimental or wistful affection for the past. I am old enough to remember that even difficult and painful circumstances had some pleasant things that linger beyond the pain. Perhaps that is a better definition of nostalgia.

 

          The rolodex of memories yield to selective memory. I can flip through the truly painful things and pick out a card with a blessing or a treasured memory. It is a favorite pastime of those who have already lived most of their life. We can choose which events to review.

 

          Do you remember how it was before you were saved? Perhaps, as Paul pointed out, there are some things that bring shame.

 

Rom 6:20-22

20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.

21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.

22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. KJV

 

          Take time to remember those situations from which you were rescued. Oh, those are the times when God is very real.

 

1 Peter 1:6-8

6 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:

7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

8 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: KJV

 

Dear Lord, let us remember that you have been our help in ages past. Let us take refuge under the shadow of your wings. AMEN

 

No comments:

Post a Comment