Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

BEFORE YOU RUSH OFF!

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

 

BEFORE YOU RUSH OFF!

 

Eph 5:14-17

14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

15 See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,

16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.

17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.

 

           I imagine a scene in many homes around me this morning. Parents still moist from the shower, kids with mismatched sox [which is now a fad], dogs so confused by the rush they don’t even bark! It is a school and workday. Breakfast is a toaster pastry – eaten cold and unblessed without a prayer. Hurry – worry – bury seems to be the plan of too many. I just yielded a sigh! Perhaps this is what the Bible means by “the days are evil.”

 

            Our pace is enough to ruffle the feathers of any guardian angel. Hopefully, at some point in the day, we will catch up with ourselves and things will smooth out a bit. Evil days need divine appointments. When I was working, yes, pastoral ministry was work, I planned short 5-to-7-minute vacations throughout the day. I would quiet the room, close my eyes, and transport myself to some mountain stream or beach. I would list my concerns before the Lord and then thank Him for taking them away.

 

           Adam Clarke was born in 1762 and died in 1832. It took him 40 years to write his commentary on the whole Bible. Yet, in those austere days, he wrote this: “The present times are dangerous, they are full of trouble and temptations, and only the watchful and diligent have any reason to expect that they shall keep their garments unspotted.”

 

Lord, before I rush off in all directions, let me spend a minute or two with you. AMEN

 

No comments:

Post a Comment