Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2021

FRAGMENTS!

 

Tuesday, August 3, 2021

 

FRAGMENTS!

 

John 6:12-13

12 When they were filled, he said unto his disciples, Gather up the fragments that remain, that nothing be lost.

13 Therefore they gathered them together, and filled twelve baskets with the fragments of the five barley loaves, which remained over and above unto them that had eaten.

 

           There is sufficient teaching in these verses to keep one busy for quite a long time. I hardly know where to begin and fear I will not be able to conclude. But, like a toddler with his birthday cake, let’s plunge in face first!

 

           Five thousand men, and we rightfully think women also because the Greek Anthropos means human being or man in the generic and collective sense. As we read, we sense that Jesus is a master at using double meanings in all His phrases. Consider the simple command: “make the men to sit down” and immediately our mind jumps to Psalm 23 where the psalmist says “he maketh me to lie down in green pastures.”

 

           Skipping so very much, I see “gather up the fragments” as Jesus must have seen them. Not bread only but broken and disconnected people! Un-gathered were they and in danger of perishing – for that is the sense of the phrase “that nothing be lost.” Bits and pieces, scraps of humanity, individually of little value but gathered together they fill many baskets. So, we view our congregation. It is WHY we gather. It is why Satan tries to keep us apart.

 

           “Over and above” is a phrase that is translated from a single Greek word and that word is perisseuo which means “to superabound in both quantity and quality.” Jesus takes our little and makes it much. Do not withhold your little because it seems insignificant. Let God break it and distribute it. He will return to you your basketful.

 

Rev 3:8

8 I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.

 

Lord, I am often guilty of faulty accounting. I think myself to be useless, and possibly worthless, but I am a child of God! Redeemed and made worthy! Thank you, Lord. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment