Pages

Friday, April 30, 2021

RICH OR POOR?

 

Friday, April 30, 2021

 

RICH OR POOR?

 

Prov 30:8-9

8 Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me:

9 Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the Lord? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain.

 

Luke 11:3

3 Give us day by day our daily bread.

 

           If you ask anyone if they would rather be rich of poor their answer would likely be rich. It is, as they say, a no brainer. Why would anyone want to live a life of want, need, and uncertainty? Nevertheless, the Bible has many negative things to say about the rich.

 

           The story of the rich young ruler in Matthew chapter 19 and Mark chapter 10 highlights the one thing that riches cannot buy which is a deep relationship with Jesus. A few memorable comments show up in this story. Jesus said: “It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.” The follow-up question of the disciples was “Who then can be saved?” Jesus replied, “With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.”

           Those who must trust God for daily provision lead a storied life. There is a joyous wonder surrounding the many occasions when strange things happen, and needs are miraculously met. The rich know nothing of that.

 

Phil 4:12-13

12 I know how to be abased and live humbly in straitened circumstances, and I know also how to enjoy plenty and live in abundance. I have learned in any and all circumstances the secret of facing every situation, whether well-fed or going hungry, having a sufficiency and enough to spare or going without and being in want.

13 I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me.

AMPLIFIED BIBLE

 

Andrae Crouch wrote a song made popular by Bill and Gloria Gaither that says this:

 

I thank God for the mountains,

and I thank Him for the valleys,

I thank Him for the storms He brought me through.

For if I'd never had a problem,

I wouldn't know God could solve them,

I'd never know what faith in God could do.

 

Dear Lord, please give to my friends today … enough. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment