Pages

Saturday, November 14, 2020

DISQUIETED!

 

Saturday, November 14, 2020

 

DISQUIETED!

 

Ps 42:5

5 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance.

 

Prov 30:21-23

21 For three things the earth is disquieted, and for four which it cannot bear:

22 For a servant when he reigneth; and a fool when he is filled with meat;

23 For an odious woman when she is married; and an handmaid that is heir to her mistress.

 

           The word “disquieted,” in Proverbs, is the Hebrew ragaz which means “to quiver violently.” The Psalmist uses the word hamah which means “a loud moan.” When one’s spirit is unsettled, both words are easily understood.

 

           I had a crying time just before bedtime last night. I’m a melancholy by nature and an empath. I tend to absorb the emotions of others. I care. Sometimes I care too much. It is God’s gift and God’s design, but I do not blame God for it. I try to make it something useful. But weep I did, for a while, just before going to sleep because weeping seemed appropriate.

 

           All that Dr. Barnes would say about Proverbs 30 was: “Here the common element is that of being intolerable, and the four examples are divided equally between the two sexes. Each has its examples of power and prosperity misused because they fall to the lot of those who have no training for them, and are therefore in the wrong place. “

(from Barnes' Notes, Electronic Database Copyright © 1997, 2003, 2005, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved.)

 

           According to Proverbs 29:2 we can expect a season of mourning. Our rulers, indeed, our nation, are ill equipped spiritually, emotionally, and intellectually. Character and principles have fled away. We should become familiar with moaning and quivering violently.

 

           The Psalmist does not leave us in the “slough of despond,” but recommends that we hope in God and flee to his presence. And, remembering Pilgrim’s Progress, who can forget the place where Pilgrim lost his burden!

 

"Thus far did I come laden with my sin,

Nor could aught ease the grief that I was in,

Till I came hither. What a place is this!

Must here be the beginning of my bliss!

Must here the burden fall from off my back!

Must here the strings that bound it to me crack!

Blest cross! blest sepulchre! blest rather be

The Man that there was put to shame for me!"

 

Dear Lord, the world offers disappointment but I will hope in God. I will praise you because the final chapter spells peace and victory for the believer. Thank you, Lord. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment